Friday, September 2, 2011

Criss Angel... Who?

MINDRFREAK, MINDFREAK, MINDFUC.....Uhh..
Are you ready?
It was nine years ago when I started with Magic, I had absolutely no idea who David Blaine, Criss Angel, Harry Houdini, Derren Brown or any other big names in Magic were. I slowly started coming across these people and got inspired by each and everyone of them... except for, as you might have guessed, Criss Angel.
For a major part of nine years, I have watched Derren Brown or David Blaine almost each and everyday, and the way they inspire me is something I'll never be able to put into words. They also made me forget of a certain Criss Angel who I used to watch for a very brief period of time.
But recently, a friend of mine, Anisha Shekhar, came up to me and asked, "What do you think of Criss Angel?", she for some reason found him unbelievably amazing. And over the next few days, loads of people came up to me and asked me what I think of him and that they found him amazing. The reason for all this was, his "show" was running on Zee Cafe here in India. All of this prompted me to write a blog on what the magic community thinks of him.
If any of you ever get a chance to go to Las Vegas, do go there and ask people about Criss Angel. Here's what a magician who lives in Las Vegas, whose also seen Criss Angel live, thinks of him, "He's a fucking fraud, I went up to him once, he asked me to be an actor on his show and offered to pay me quite a lot of money, being a magician myself I refused." Another friend of mine, whose also a magician says, "What makes magic real is the feeling of wonderment and something impossible happen to you, not camera tricks or paid actors or 14 chains hanging from your neck." A CAB DRIVER in Vegas said to me, "Criss Angel is fake. I used to love Magic, he's made me hate it."
To me magic is something beautiful and awe inspiring, not a business. You're a performer, entertainer or a showman. Not a businessman who pictures himself as God, which is exactly what Criss Angel does. Paying people to be on his show, using camera tricks and calling himself a magician. He's a disgrace to the name of magic, not a single pro regards him as a magician. Not a single pro respects him. You can't walk on water without having glass under your feet, you can't float from one building to another without a crane lifting you or using camera tricks.
Criss Angel is the Justin Bieber of Magic. Liked by girls because some of them find him hot for some reason. Liked by select few people who want Magic to be about cheap levitation illusions and disappearing actors in bikinis.
To Criss Angel, you are the biggest disgrace not just to Magic, but to any kind of performing arts. Stop using camera tricks, stop using actors, stop acting like God, because quite simply, you're nothing but a guy with a terrible accent, a few trick decks of cards, your camera crew, cheap actors and no self respect. Yours sincerely, each and every respectable magician to walk the face of the Earth and half of Las Vegas, who knows the real you. Die Angel.
And now you must excuse me, the half an hour of writing about him has disgusted me so much that I need to watch Derren Brown to make myself feel better. Till then, I hope you stop watching Criss Angel for good.
Loading...