Monday, December 19, 2011

Beliefs and Behaviors

With Christmas around the corner, little kids and some disillusioned elders have put up socks near the chimnies hoping for a fat man in a red suit to fill them up with gifts and toys and smokes and weed and what not. The fact that older people stop believing in Santa as they grow old makes me think why they do so? And if they stop believing in Santa, then why believe in a few other questionable and debatable things.
The truth is, as we grow up, people around us teach us certain things like how to act in public, respecting elders, helping the handicapped and other essential things. Amongst other things, we are taught certain belief systems. Like worshipping God, following a religion, being straight (as opposed to gay) and even Santa Claus.
The idea of worshipping God, following a religion, knowing your sexuality and the idea of Santa, is not something that can be taught, it has to be learnt. In relation to the topic of my blog, behaviors can be taught, not beliefs.
I'm told I should go to the gurudwara or a temple or a mosque or church or any other religious place to worship God, why should I worship someone I don't believe in? For me, my Gods are the people I idolize. I'll worship them, I'll thank them for giving me different styles of performances which I can see and learn from.
In my views, "A man should be allowed to worship the devil if he wants." Without being looked down upon from people around him.
Coming to being gay. For some reason, if people think I'm gay, well I'm not. But if XYZ says that he's gay, people start thinking, "Umm, he's not normal." Who are we to judge? Even if he is, it doesn't make him abnormal, that's his belief. Why should a person have a traumatic life because he can't be bold enough to make statements about being Gay or worshiping the devil for fear of being made fun of and looked down upon by people around him?
I was recently giving an interview for an online magazine and I was asked by the interviewer (a girl): Are you gay? And I thought to myself when was the last time someone was asked in an interview, "Are you straight?"
We tend to look away from people who are different because we tend to think that's it's wrong. It's not wrong, it's just what they believe in. If a 35 year old man says, I believe in Santa. You won't look down upon him, you'll probably tell him that Santa doesn't exist. Similarly, why do we look down upon a person who worships the Devil? Why do we look down upon a man who likes other men? Or a woman who likes other women? 
And as the year comes to an end, I'd like to scream a massive shout of Merry Christmas to all of you and an even bigger Happy New Year. And to end this year, I would love to hear from all of you. So write down your suggestions in an email, print it out, fold it up and shove it up your bottom. What a happy thought to the end the year.
Loading...