Friday, January 20, 2012

Me, Myself and Everybody Else.... And Steve Jobs.

"I was very lucky, I found something I loved at a very young age." - Steve Jobs.
Standing ovations. Normal ovations. Random people smiling at you in a market. People wanting to get clicked with you. Updating a Facebook status and getting around 20 likes in 5 minutes no matter what the status may be. All that and much, much more. 2011 was easily one of the best years of my life, and 2012 has already gotten off to an awesome start. Showbiz is every bit as awesome, fun and exciting as it looks from the outside.
Before I start blabbing, the quote I started my blog with is something I can relate to more than anything else in my life. I fell in love with Magic when I was eleven and that love has grown every day, ever hour, every minute and every second. Which brings me to the question which is asked to me at least 10 times a week on average, "How do you pursue your passion and make it into a profession?"
 Before you can follow a passion, it's kind of understood that you need  to look for something that you're a passionate about. I played a lot of instruments when I was young, still play them from time to time, like almost every young kid in India I had a huge passion for cricket and always wanted to become a cricketer. I was fascinated by WWE, and used to wrestle with my cushions hoping to be heavyweight champion one day. Hmm, I was one weird kid. 
I even had an immense love for Harry Potter, intact after the sixth book, I wrote a whole book of my own with a theory on how Dumbledore wasn't dead, complete waste of time when you come to think of it, but fun none the less.
So for people stuck up on the thought that they'll never find their passion, all you need to do is keep trying different things in life.
"If you haven't found what you love yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with matters of the heart, you'll know when you've found it. - Steve Jobs."
But doing something you love brings up one massive problem, with love comes heartbreak. I used to practice 12-14 hours a day, standing in front of mirrors, making videos of myself and performing for anyone who was willing to watch an excited kid with a deck of cards. And the cards did fall onto the ground, not once, not twice, at least a hundred times a day. Reading someone's mind and guessing something which was completely in the opposite direction of what they were thinking used to happen at least 10 times a day. And to be honest, it was the worst feeling ever. With love did indeed come heartbreak.
I started off doing charity events and performing at one year olds birthday parties for free after six years of practicing. However, I was still not good enough to be paid to perform, it's then that I realized you need to keep growing, you need to keep learning. That's when I dwelled into psychology, micro expressions, mind reading, Neuro Linguistic Programming, hypnosis and whole other fields of performances. I kept looking at different areas within my passion for Magic, that helped my passion to grow from Magic to performing in general.
Steve Jobs was fired from Apple, only to come back and make it the twenty second most successful company in the world according to Fortune 500 as we know it today. You will suffer heartbreak, in your work life, in your love life and even with your friends, you've got to keep working towards a better version of yourself, you've to keep working towards a better relationship, you've got to keep working towards following your passion. You've got to stay hungry to learn more, you've got to remain foolish to experiment till you find something you love.
When we grow up, we tend to get told that the world is the way it is, and our job is to live life within that world. Try not to bash into the walls too much, try to have a nice family, try and have fun and save a little money. That's a very limited life. Life can be much broader when we realize one simple fact, "Everything around us that we call life was built by someone who was no smatter than you and me. And we change that, we can influence that, we can follow our own passions that become a part of other people's lives."
Once we learn that, we'll never be the same again.
"Stay hungry, stay foolish." - Steve Jobs.
Loading...