Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Of Memory, Of Psychology, Of Rubik's Cube... Of Nonsense

So my last two or three blog posts have hinted around the apparent dark thoughts of Gays and the non existence of God and other darker beliefs and behaviors which have lead to a serious increase in people reading my blogs and an even bigger increase in people complaining about the stuff I write. Someone told me, "I don't want my kid to read non-sense like this, take this off now." Someone else said, "Who are you to say God doesn't exist? How can you be an atheist? If you want Gays to be a part of society, you should move to some suburb of Europe." Well, I'm still in Delhi, I still stand by my beliefs and I'm still writing "nonsense" in my blogs.
So if you haven't already switched windows and started Facebooking or set fire to my blog in anger, it's time to read on about some of my apparently fascinating new ideas.
I went for this 9 year old kid's birthday who if I'm correct is my second cousin and he got at least 4 Rubik's cubes as presents. And I thought to myself, why is it that people intend on giving kids something that they'll spend rest of their lives attempting to solve and still not be successful? What sadistic pleasure do we get out of irritating and tormenting people for a majority of their life time?
But apart from burning blogs, irritating kids and not knowing how they're related to me, that day really made me do a bit of research on Rubik's Cubes. Did you know that there are FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETEEN QUINTILLION! Yeah, quintillion possible ways to arrange that little toy, and only one of them is the right way! Who knew there was a special toy to irritate people? But the random no brain guy with too much free time on my hands that I am, I tried to relate it with Magic. And the first thing that came to my head was a deck of cards. There are apparently 8X10 to the power of 67 ways to stack a deck of cards. You do the math. That also means that it's exceedingly improbable that two random cards picked from two truly random decks will ever be the same in the history of cards.
But I also observed that people who have had enough free time to sit and solve a Rubik's cube over and over again in their pointless lives, have relied a lot on memory. And that is one thing I'm kind of good at, so I thought, wouldn't it be cool if I could take a shuffled deck of cards, memorize them (yeah, I've done that a gazillion times), and then shuffle them in a way that they end up in new deck order, and doing all of that without looking at the faces more than once and having them in new deck order in less than two minutes.
So, that's the first time in my life I've built up hype for a trick which I am so far away from perfecting that I'd probably be transforming water into beer before I can actually do it. Oh wait, I've already done that. So for those beautiful and handsome people, and the ugly ones who might feel left out, well in general, people who actually wait to watch my videos, you know what the next one's going to be. If you don't, well you just completely missed the point of the blog din't you?
And that's enough blabber to start of the year. May you all continue to ponder over my blogs throughout the year and may all your Facebook statuses get loads of likes and comments or whatever it is that you want.
Till then, lets all wait for my next video, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock...  
Loading...