Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Fear Of Yourself - Weirdophobia

To start of, do not Google the word "Weirdophobia", it's not an actual word, I just wrote that to make the tittle of the blog sound better. Which now, when I read it again makes it sound weirder and rather uninteresting than it actually should be. But now I'm very non creative and lazy to change that.
I was talking to someone the other day and he asked me, "A lot of performers, while they're on stage practice a famous technique of imagining that the audience is naked so as to distract themselves from the nerves, do you do that too?"
I don't do that, if that's of any comfort to any of you. What I do do, is imagine a younger version of myself sitting in the crowd laughing at my present self doing all sorts of things to entertain people. And keeping aside the fact that I said do do, you may question why do I do that?
For the simple reason that we must NEVER stop thinking like a kid. We must never stop being that kid who asks "Why?" We must never stop being that kid who finds almost everything around him funny. It's that imagination that makes us unique. It's that imagination which makes us think of different things and makes us who we are. If that dies, we are like everyone else in the world sucked of all the imagination and happiness by the dementors from Harry Potter.
Imagine yourself walking in a crowded area, you're looking at things around you when you bump into someone. You turn around to say sorry to that person, and the moment you do that, you realize that you've bumped into.. yourself. 
That is probably the scariest thing a human being can experience. The moment you realize that you've bumped into yourself, you stand naked. Not literally but figuratively (in some cases, you might want it to be literally, but I'll leave that up to your imagination).
You stand naked, because no matter how much somebody knows you or how well somebody knows you, NO ONE, not even your parents, your kids, your partner or your best friends know the true you better than you. And the thought that another "version" of you is out there somewhere makes all of it a very scary thought.
I always like to believe that there's a version of me somewhere very close by, who other people know. That version may have sides to my personality which it shows which I don't like to show. So the fear of those people knowing certain things about me which are very private to me is the greatest motivation I have to keep thinking like a kid. Because it's that imagination that overcomes the darker sides of mine or anyone else's personality.
So all I'd want to say to end this wayward blog post is NEVER stop thinking like a kid, never stop asking, "Why?" If you do, you're imagination is dead. If your imagination is dead, your ability to develop conversations, ideas, thoughts is dead. If your ability to develop thoughts and ideas is dead, you're only left with darker sides to your personality which you don't want the world to know. 
Loading...